Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I hope to keep you all informed about my progress through this little adventure called cancer. I'm writing as much for myself as for anyone else, to document this journey and all the (hopeful) learning that takes place. Be warned that you are likely to encounter posts that may contain entirely tmi about bodily functions, that may be narcissistic and self indulgent, that might be poorly written or that may not interest you in the least, especially if you're just wondering "How's Steph feeling?" Comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for coming by!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Activism

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and there are so many ways to be active in the fight against this disease. Here are just 3 I'd like to encourage.

1) Ladies, first of all be an activist on your own behalf. Don't feel bad for me because I'm the one who got it. I'm really just the first one among my community of friends. Odds are still 1 in 8 by age 75. So learn how to feel yourself up each month, eat well, sleep much, take care of and honor yourself. And get your damn mammogram. Speaking of which....

2) Women who have dense breast tissue, which is not uncommon, are more likely to have their tumors missed by a mammogram. A bill authored by state Sen. Joe Simitian, D-Palo Alto, to improve breast cancer detection has passed the California State Legislature and now goes to the governor for consideration. Senate Bill 791 requires that following a mammogram, patients with dense breast tissue be informed and advised to have an ultrasound or MRI.
The bill has made it through the legislature and is sitting on Gov. Brown's desk, he has until October 9th to sign or veto it
You can help get this important bill turned into law by calling or emailing your support of SB791 to Governor Brown .
Also check out the link to the website areyoudense.org

3) If you like more actual activity in your activism, come join Team "Newblanc's Vikings" at the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk on October 22nd in Golden Gate Park. My team was started by some wonderful parents in my school community. We have a team of about 20 parents and students so far, including myself, and we have reached about 60% of our fund raising goal.
There is no charge to participate in the walk and I'd love to have more folks join our team!
Here is the website:
http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?team_id=1012762&fr_id=35954&pg=team

1 comment:

  1. As a matter of fact, scheduled for my boob squeezing next week!

    ReplyDelete