Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I hope to keep you all informed about my progress through this little adventure called cancer. I'm writing as much for myself as for anyone else, to document this journey and all the (hopeful) learning that takes place. Be warned that you are likely to encounter posts that may contain entirely tmi about bodily functions, that may be narcissistic and self indulgent, that might be poorly written or that may not interest you in the least, especially if you're just wondering "How's Steph feeling?" Comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for coming by!

Monday, September 19, 2011

The Beginning

I found out I had breast cancer about 20 minutes before performing on stage in Vegas. I'd had a biopsy a couple of days before, after a routine mammogram turned up some suspiciously clumped calcifications. I had hoped to put off returning the calls from the breast center until after we performed but it was getting too close to 5pm. So I called to get my biopsy results at 4:45 and got the news; Invasive Ductile Carcinoma, likely Stage 1, very treatable. The show went on, we danced well but didn't win any prizes. (btw, this was no glamorous dance gig on a stage at the strip, we were dancing at a bellydance competition in a banquet room at Sam's Town. Totally cheesy but lots of fun.)
The rest of the weekend was rough not knowing anything more than that basic diagnosis. I couldn't reach my husband who was camping though I didn't want to until I knew more. I was so grateful to have my troupe with me, a group of strong, wise women who could support me, hold space for me and party with me all in equal measure. Marie was correct when she told me that this waiting time would probably be the hardest part. Having so many unknowns swirling in my head was emotionally exhausting. Mastectomy? Chemotherapy? Has it spread? My job? My kid??
Fortunately, it was only a couple of days before we met with a wonderful team of doctors who could tell us everything we wanted to know.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Steph... Thanks for letting us "ride along". We are all sending you good energy.

    And I am scheduling my mammogram on Monday!
    xo,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete