Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I hope to keep you all informed about my progress through this little adventure called cancer. I'm writing as much for myself as for anyone else, to document this journey and all the (hopeful) learning that takes place. Be warned that you are likely to encounter posts that may contain entirely tmi about bodily functions, that may be narcissistic and self indulgent, that might be poorly written or that may not interest you in the least, especially if you're just wondering "How's Steph feeling?" Comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for coming by!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Follow Up: Making Strides Walk

Shamefully, it's taken me a long time to post a follow up to the amazing Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event. It was truly a magical day. We had *beautiful* weather in Golden Gate Park, never something to be taken for granted, and a fabulous turn out of people. So many students and parents were there, even a couple of parents from Jet's class. Myself and a few students were scheduled to speak up on the main stage. I had been told via email that I would have 3 minutes to speak so I had prepared something to say but then when I checked in, I was told that it be interview style. Oh well, better than the other way around! So I was interviewed by Dr. Kim Mulvihill from CBS San Francisco and she was very cool. I managed to get in all the things I had wanted to say in my little speech anyway. Here is the link to the video of the interview, in all my bald glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpdZrsUvy44&

Overall it was a stupendous day. I was so proud of all my students for coming out and of course very touched by all their care and support. The walk itself was a sunny 5 miles through the park. Gadget and Jet cruised along with us on a tandem bike, all of us in our pink t-shirts.

Thank you to everyone who was involved either joining the team or contributing funds or just for moral support! Overall, Team Newblanc's Vikings raised over $14.000 for the American Cancer Society, which puts 80% of its donations toward its programs of research grants and patient support. We can all feel pretty good about that. :)

1 comment:

  1. I just watched the video and you were a pillar of strength! I'm so sorry you have to go through this, but you seem to have your head in the right place and an amazing support team. I think of you often and pray for your complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete