Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I hope to keep you all informed about my progress through this little adventure called cancer. I'm writing as much for myself as for anyone else, to document this journey and all the (hopeful) learning that takes place. Be warned that you are likely to encounter posts that may contain entirely tmi about bodily functions, that may be narcissistic and self indulgent, that might be poorly written or that may not interest you in the least, especially if you're just wondering "How's Steph feeling?" Comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for coming by!

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Chemo Round 4: Over the Hump!

Just over a week past treatment #4 and I'm feeling pretty good! Surprisingly, I seem to have gotten over the hump this time quicker than last time. Though I would say that the hard part was harder this time through both physically and emotionally. Last Saturday was my hardest day yet, feeling both nauseous and really tired and just uncomfortable in my own skin. It was yuck. Sunday was a bit better and it has gotten better steadily since. Except for the strep throat. Jet tested positive last week, without ever really getting sick, and has been on antibiotics. I started getting a sore throat on Tuesday and all my doctors agreed that I needed to start on antibiotics too. I'm usually pretty hesitant to take antibiotics unless really necessary because I know they are often over-prescribed, but I guess I'm at the point in the cycle when my immune system is lowest and they were rather insistent.
My digestion has been pretty much fine this time through but it's my mouth that is having a rough time again. Not as bad as last time, I've been more careful about what I eat, but quite persistently uncomfortable. My sense of taste had come back considerably but is starting to diminish again.
And then there's my usually positive attitude which has definitely been showing some cracks. I occasionally have some dark hours when I feel weak and pathetic and ugly and dumpy and old. Or just really sick and tired of all of it and wanting it to be done. I guess that's to be expected. My gloominess doesn't usually last long though, rarely more than a few hours.

What's been making me happy this week is reconnecting with my kitchen! I've never been much of a cook, it doesn't come naturally or easily to me. But I took on a bunch of cooking projects this week and I actually really enjoyed it. I made my first ever cream of mushroom soup, cranberry relish from real cranberries, garlic hummus, sweet potato fries and pumpkin cupcakes (with fresh pumpkin) with orange cream cheese frosting! All of it turned out really good and it was nice to finally make a real contribution to my family's Thanksgiving dinner.

Behold my Pumpkin Cupcakes! They are delish!



So much to be thankful for, including having the time and leisure to work though my sh*t, the remarkable circle of family, friends and co-workers who sustain me, and most of all this:

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steph, you're doing a great job of kicking the ass out of cancer. Hope you are feeling well this week. Lots of love, Vicky

    ReplyDelete